Sunburn is a common problem for everyone nowadays. We are all exposed to the uv rays of the sun whenever we step out. We even like to get a warm sun bath while chilling in the balcony. But unfortunately we cannot stand Sun rays for long period of time. Nearly one third of the population ,mostly adults get affected due to sunburn. Even children suffers from sun damages. Sun burn leads to itchy, dry, swollen and red patchy skin.
What is the difference between a Sunburn and Suntan?
Most of the times we tend to make a common mistake. Sometimes we misinterpret sunburn and suntan, as if they are the same thing. But both are different from each other.
We all have a pigment in our skin known as melanin. It is responsible for the color that we have in our skin. When someone is under constant exposure of sun rays, he is sure to get a sunburn, depending on the melanin concentration of his/her skin. For a fair skinned person, they tend to get affected due to sunburn in no less than 15 minutes. Due to less concentration of melanin present in their skin, they tend to suffer from sun burn. Redness of skin prevails , on the area of sunburn as blood flow increases in the affected area. Comparatively , dark skin people do not get sunburn easily as , they have high concentration of melanin on their skin.
When the skin is already damaged, then the body is capable of making more amount of melanin. And this melanin protects our skin from any further damage. Thus this extra melanin makes our skin look more darker and thereby causing a suntan. Sun tan can be cured using various aloe gel products. Even there is a wide range of face packs and face masks to remove suntan. And in case of sunburn, there are natural and medical treatments available and discussed in detail below.
What causes sun burn?
The UV ray is the major reason of a sun burn. As we go outside we get exposed to these harmful rays and our skin tend to produce more melanin on our skin. This causes suntan as it is a natural process of our skin to prevent from the damage of UV. But too much of exposure causes the sun burn , which is actually a damage to the skin cells. This causes red spot, blisters, pain and swelling of the affected area. Severe cases can lead to high fever.
Symptoms of sunburn
- The first symptom is immediate change is skin tone. it may turn red or pink
- Affected area can get hot and swelled
- Body pain and blisters may arise on the affected area
- Second degree burn accompanied by fever
How to treat sunburn?
There are several ways for treating sunburn. There are home remedies for sunburn as well as chemical and clinical treatments depending on the seriousness of it. These are home remedies which you can use to treat sunburn-
1)Compresses – After you take your usual bath , you can gently tap water on your skin or even some ice and leave it a little hydrated. Then apply a moisturizer which will eventually trap the water on the skin and provide you instant relief.
2) You can particularly use a moisturiser that contains aloe vera. Like if you feel that a particular area of your face or skin has got burnt or reddish, you can simply use it.
3) For reducing swelling, redness and discomfort, you can also prefer taking aspirin(though physicians advice is recommended).
4) Drinking lots of water actually helps to keep your skin hydrated and reducing discomfort.
5) In case of sunburn blisters, you must allow the blisters to heal in the first place. Because when you develop blisters, it means that it is a second degree burn and immediately needs medical assistance. Burn creams can be a saviour in such cases.
6) Methanol and camphor containing creams and gels are also useful. If you refrigerate the cream before applying, it will help you to heal even better.
7) Avoid the sun until your body heals. You may have the following symptoms if you get sunburn:
- Fever of 102 deg or more.
- Pain in body and joints.
- Sunburn blisters over the affected area causing immense pain.
- Chills, dry mouth, dehydration, reduced urination, restlessness and dizziness.
How to prevent Sunburn?
Sunburns can be prevented in the following ways-
Use Sunscreen- We all must get into the habit of using sunscreen whenever we step outside. We should apply suncreen atleast on the exposed portion of the body at the earliest. Sunscreen provides us protection from both UVA and UVB rays. The sunscreen that we are using must contain sun protection factor (spf) of at least 30 .
The steps you need to follow before applying the sunscreen-
- Apply daily 30 minutes prior going out of the house .
- We should even use it on cloudy days as the uv rays can penetrate the clouds.
- While you are swimming or doing some activity and sweating, apply the sunscreen in every two hours. This will ensure better action of the cream in your body.
- Use broad spectrum sunglasses to prevent sunburn on face and for eyes.
- Apply sunburn sunscreen lotion all over the skin that are exposed including the ears, neck, lips and tops of the feet.
- Sunburn skin creams are also available. Use it daily for better protection.
Best 6 Sunscreens that give You the Adequate UV Protection
We recommend at least SPF 50+ depending on Indian Conditions.
Mamaearth’s Ultra Light Natural Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50 PA+++
This Sunscreen added with carrot oil and turmeric is a mas favorite. This sunscreen is ultr-light meaning it is non-greasy and don’t give sticky feeling to your skin. Apart from that essential oils of carrot seed, orange and turmeric give it a 100% natural product suitable for all Skin types.
WOW Skin Science Sunscreen Matte Finish – Spf 55 Pa+++
This natural sunblock gives your skin broad-spectrum protection from harmful UVA & UVB rays and photo damage. The active ingredients rich in vitamins A, C and E prevent skin damage by neutralizing the free radicals and UV rays.
- Inhibits Signs of Aging
- Neutralize Photon damage from sunrays
- Soothe Redness & Prevent dryness
- Protects skin from dehydration and diminishes wrinkles and brown spots.
Lotus Herbals Safe Sun 3-in-1 Matte Look Tinted Sunscreen SPF 40 PA+++
This is a Matt look giving daily sunblock giving 98% protection from UV A & UV B . It not only gives you Sun protection but also gives Instant BB Glow, Even Tones Complexion and blends easily to give Matte Finish.
La Shield Pollution Protect Mineral Sunscreen Gel Spf 50, WHITE
It has a unique UV A & B protection formulae along with Moisture locking formulae that prevents your skin from Dryness.
Type – GEL . its is non oily , non greasy, light weight and suitable for all skin types.
UvDoux Sunscreen Gel with SPF 50 PA+++ in Matte Finish and Oil Free Formula
- Expert Sun protection
- Water Resistant Sun Screen
- Long lasting hydration
Lacto Calamine Sunshield Matte Look Sunscreen SPF50 PA+++ for Oily or Acne Prone Skin
Lacto calamine is a long standing Brand in the Indian market and their products are one on which you can depend easily.
- Unique water-based sunscreen lotion – light weight and quick absorbing
- Non-oily and non-sticky
- Enriched with kaolin clay & lemon extract – gives a clear matte look
- Dermatologically tested and paraben free
- Best sunscreen lotion for oily skin
Sunburn treatment at Home
- Some dairy products like cold milk and yogurt is a proven method for sunburn treatment. Take a clean cloth and compress it with either milk of yogurt on the burn surface. It provides relief and helps to heal from sunburn.
- Take a cold shower whenever you feel a little dizzy due to the constant exposure from the sun. A good bath always makes you feel fresh and enthusiastic after a long day. Apply a sunburn cream as it absorbs the moisture and keeps you hydrated.
- Sun burn remedies also include aloe vera, which works amazingly as a sunburn cure. Slathering some aloe on the burned area provides a cooling effect on the skin.
Oatmeal bath is another home remedy for sunburn. Grind a cup of unflavoured oatmeal and add two cups of water. Now use it while taking bath and soak for about 20 minutes.
Are sunburns itchy?
Heavy sunburn exposure causes blisters on the skin. The sunburn blisters are small, white and they are fluid filled bumps that appeared on the burned area. And the skin surrounding the area becomes red and slightly swollen. And they can be extremely itchy and painful.
Do sunburns turn into tan?
There’s no such proof that a sunburn will surely turn into a tan especially for a fairer skinned person. But if someone continuously gets to expose sunburn and it lasts for 10 to 14 days, then he can develop some suntan.
Do sunburns go away?
If it is mild sunburn, it will go away without any treatment. But in case of severe burns, it may need medical intervention. Sunburn go away with using creams and lotion that leads to healing of the affected skin area.
How sunburns heal?
Due to heavy exposure to suns UV rays, we can get sunburn on skin. In case if it is mild, it heals naturally by keeping ourselves dehydrated. But it that hurts severely, then that will take days to heal. In such scenarios we have to consult a doctor.
Is sunburn permanent?
In case of mild sunburns, it eventually goes off under constant treatment. But any type of sunburn is capable of causing permanent health hazard. It can even be cause of skin cancer.
How to remove sunburns from face quickly?
You can take a cool bath or shower and also compress ice on your face. Using sunburn creams and gels can also heal your face. Aloe vera is one of the best option. You must drink lots of water and never pop any blisters. It can cause permanent marks on your face. Using a sunburn sunscreen or moisturizer will be helpful.